Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Synchronizing(Syncing) Bookmarks, Passwords and even Open Tabs

I am amazed at the extensions and utilities available for browsers these days :-)
I work on three different machines on a given day: My Desktop, Lab laptop and home laptop. One of the many features I wanted was to be able to synchronize my browsers across these machines. They use different operating systems and I end up using either chrome, firefox and sometimes internet explorer. Firstly, I love Chrome because it syncs to my google account which has many uses but the main one being synchronizing bookmarks and extensions across machines.

Then, I added Lastpass another extension that is a password manager. I dont remember passwords to most of the websites as they are automatically generated using Lastpass! Its an amazing tool that will save you a lot of time.

Finally, I found Xmarks another extension that takes synchronization a step further. It synchronizes open tabs across machines! How cool is that? In the lab I can now open tabs that are open on my laptop at home. Its made the entire process of moving across machines so much easier.

I strongly suggest anyone who is looking to deal with synchronizing your work on the browsers across machines to use the following combination: Chrome browser + Synchronize with Google account + Lastpass + Xmarks

!!!The combination is uncanny!!!

No comments: